Smith Lumber Legacy
Started in 1896 as Smith’s Camp, the business was incorporated as S.L. Smith Lumber in 1900 and spanned four generations of local ownership. It’s Leadville’s oldest continually owned family business. Shadrack Lionel Smith was the first owner and visionary leader. The business then went to Charles, Wilbur, and Dick. They used the depot primarily for storing lumber. Smith Lumber spent 115 years in business and many of us remember getting the tools to build our own houses from the lumber yard.